Army evacuates stranded tourists in Sikkim
Gangtok: Around 2,000 tourists stranded at Thegu in East Sikkim due to sudden snowfall were rescued and evacuated by the Army personnel of Black Cat Division, Army said on Monday.
An Army press release said that 250 tourist vehicles with around 2,000 tourists were stranded at Thegu, below Nathu La, due to unexpected and sudden snowfall on Saturday.
Troops stationed nearby, quickly rose to the occasion and helped to push the tourist vehicles across the steep slopes and rescued the tourists.
The weather deteriorated further in the evening and despite heavy snowfall and hailstorm, the troops cleared all the tourist vehicles by 7 pm on Saturday, the release said, adding all the tourists safely returned to Gangtok by nightfall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'