Army meets Tripura CM over assault on Colonel
Agartala: The Army has expressed `serious` concern over the assault and public humiliation of a senior ranking officer of Army here recently allegedly by sons of a former Tripura chief minister and has sought urgent action against the culprits.
General Officer Commanding of Dimapur-based 3 Corps, AK Sahni met the chief minister yesterday and sought action against the culprits, an Army release said.
"The incident occurred in a private telecom company outlet on July 27 when a colonel of the army protested against arbitrary billing. When he asked for a receipt of the payment he had made, the owner of the shop refused and the army officer was roughed up, humiliated and harassed," he said.
The Army had taken a serious note of the incident and are pursuing the case with the civil administration and police officials in Tripura, the release said.
"There is need for investigation on priority and for justice. The Army has been very mature and restrained in maintaining goodwill earned over the years. There is indeed tremendous bonhomie and synergy amongst the SFs (security forces) and the state, and the earlier the matter is brought to its logical conclusion the better it will be for all of us," it added.
The shop owner Sandip Burman is the son of former Tripura chief minister Samir Ranjan Burman and elder brother of present Tripura PCC president, Sudip Roy Burman. He owns a franchise of the private telecom company in the town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore