Army meets Tripura CM over assault on Colonel
Agartala: The Army has expressed `serious` concern over the assault and public humiliation of a senior ranking officer of Army here recently allegedly by sons of a former Tripura chief minister and has sought urgent action against the culprits.
General Officer Commanding of Dimapur-based 3 Corps, AK Sahni met the chief minister yesterday and sought action against the culprits, an Army release said.
"The incident occurred in a private telecom company outlet on July 27 when a colonel of the army protested against arbitrary billing. When he asked for a receipt of the payment he had made, the owner of the shop refused and the army officer was roughed up, humiliated and harassed," he said.
The Army had taken a serious note of the incident and are pursuing the case with the civil administration and police officials in Tripura, the release said.
"There is need for investigation on priority and for justice. The Army has been very mature and restrained in maintaining goodwill earned over the years. There is indeed tremendous bonhomie and synergy amongst the SFs (security forces) and the state, and the earlier the matter is brought to its logical conclusion the better it will be for all of us," it added.
The shop owner Sandip Burman is the son of former Tripura chief minister Samir Ranjan Burman and elder brother of present Tripura PCC president, Sudip Roy Burman. He owns a franchise of the private telecom company in the town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon