Army orders investigation in alleged burglary by its personnel
Itanagar: An investigation has been ordered into alleged involvement of four Army personnel in a burglary and cheating case at Banderdewa near here recently, officials said Tuesday.
The army is examining the veracity of the incident, Defence PRO based at Tezpur in Assam`s Sonitpur district said in a communique.
"In case found guilty, strict action will be taken against the defaulters and no acts of indiscipline by our troops will be tolerated," the communique said.
On the reported recovery of weapons (AK-47), magazines, 180 live rounds of ammunition, the army termed it as "baseless" saying "these are weapons, ammunition and equipment carried by army personnel as they are authorised as per the nature of their duty.
"These are not recoveries," it added.
The communique said, "It is regrettable that an incident has occurred wherein army personnel, who acting on a tip off from an informer on a likelihood of an illegal weapon in a house of an anti-social element, launched an operation to recover it, have been alleged to be involved in extortion."
Stating that a case has been registered against these personnel who along with some civilians were allegedly involved in extortion of money from Tana Karan of Duimukh, it observed, "News of this nature and naming the Army only attempts to malign the image of the force which has been working tirelessly to usher in peace and tranquility in North East."
The numerous social and community development projects undertaken that have benefited large sections of the general population are testimony to the noble intentions of the army," the communique added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you