Army starts tree plantation drive in Manipur
Kolkata: To preserve the rich biodiversity of Manipur, the Army on Monday started a drive to plant 20,000 saplings of fruit bearing and wood trees.
"The plantation drive is based on collaborative efforts between security forces and locals of the area. Schools, colleges and youth organisations of the area will be involved in the process," a defence release said.
Jawans of the Red Shield Division launched the tree plantation drive in Bishnupur and Tamenglong districts during the day and would continue this fortnight.
Fruit trees would be planted in compounds of local residents whereas other shade/wood trees would cover deforested areas in parts of the valley and remote hill areas including Khoupum Valley, the release said.
In addition to the plantation drive, local residents have also been urged to clean their surroundings and community areas, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand