Army starts tree plantation drive in Manipur
Kolkata: To preserve the rich biodiversity of Manipur, the Army on Monday started a drive to plant 20,000 saplings of fruit bearing and wood trees.
"The plantation drive is based on collaborative efforts between security forces and locals of the area. Schools, colleges and youth organisations of the area will be involved in the process," a defence release said.
Jawans of the Red Shield Division launched the tree plantation drive in Bishnupur and Tamenglong districts during the day and would continue this fortnight.
Fruit trees would be planted in compounds of local residents whereas other shade/wood trees would cover deforested areas in parts of the valley and remote hill areas including Khoupum Valley, the release said.
In addition to the plantation drive, local residents have also been urged to clean their surroundings and community areas, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez