Arrest warrant against Christ picture publisher
Shillong: An arrest warrant has been
issued against the publisher who published school text-books
carrying an objectionable picture of Jesus Christ.
"We have obtained an arrest warrant against the
publisher from Chief Judicial Magistrate court here. A police
team will soon leave for New Delhi to arrest and interrogate
him," DSP Vivek Syiem said.
"A case under Section 295 (A) of the IPC has been
registered against Skyline Publication for hurting religious
sentiments. The offence is non-bailable," he said.
The publisher will be arrested for the offence under
295(A) of the IPC which is `deliberate and malicious act
intended to hurt the religious feeling of any class by
insulting its religion or religious beliefs`, the DSP said.
Over 120 books have been seized by the police from a
convent school and a distributor, sources said.
Authorities of St Joseph Girls` Higher Secondary
School here, where the cursive writing book was supplied among
the students of Class I to IV, had filed an FIR against the
publisher after the objectionable picture of Christ came to
The cursive writing book meant for Class I is a
spelling tutor, where `Idol` is used for `I`. Against this
word, a picture of Jesus Christ holding a cigarette and a beer
The picture was also printed in cursive writing books
of Class II, III and IV.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter