Arrested for rape, Meghalaya police officer escapes from custody
Shillong: A police officer arrested for raping two minor girls escaped from police custody in Meghalaya`s West Garo Hills district Sunday, a district official said.
"Nurul Islam, who was in charge of the Ampati police station, and was arrested yesterday (Saturday) on charges of raping two sisters, escaped from police custody this morning (Sunday) from Tura (the district headquarters town of West Garo Hills)," Ram Singh, district magistrate of South West Garo Hills, told IANS.
Ampati, the assembly constituency of Chief Minister Mukul Sangma, is the district headquarters town of South West Garo Hills, which is about 375 km from here.
Singh said Islam was shifted from Ampati to Tura after people became agitated and gathered in front of the police station.
Islam, who is now placed under suspension, allegedly raped a 14-year-old girl inside the Ampati police station March 13. Later on March 31, he raped her sister, 17, at gun point in their house.
The officer had threatened to kill both the victims if they dared to inform anyone about the crime.
"Islam had not only threatened to kill them, but even threatened to implicate them in criminal cases," the district magistrate said.
Meghalaya Police have stepped up efforts to arrest the absconding police officer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- State BJP, Congress, Left to boycott Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in, Arun Jaitley to attend
- Jibe at Subramanian Swamy? Arun Jaitley says he disapproves of personal attack on Raghuram Rajan
- IPL 2016 Final: Tickets sold out in 2 hours
- Two years of Modi govt: Hope has replaced hopelessness under NDA rule, says PM
- Assam Board SEBA Class 10th Examination Results 2016: SEBA HSLC Results 2016, Assam HSLC Result 2016 to be declared on May 31