Arrested Tripura Congress chief`s brother released
Agartala: Tripura Pradesh Congress Committee president`s brother Sandeep Roy Burman who was arrested by the Assam Rifles from his brick field at Champaknagar was released Tuesday, police said.
Assam Rifles personnel yesterday raided Burman`s brick kiln about 30 km from here and handed him to the Jirania police station on the charge that he illegally possessed a revolver, Bangladeshi Taka 1500 and some extortion notices of the banned National Liberation Front of Tripura.
However, Sandip Burman refuted the charge, saying that he was framed and alleged it was a conspiracy hatched by the ruling CPI-M.
The police said it had released Sandeep Burman on bail because the charge brought against him by the Assam Rifles was `weak`.
TPCC president Sudip Roy Barman told reporters, "It is a conspiracy by the Tripura government to tarnish his image and that of his family."
However, the ruling CPI(M) denied that it had hatched a conspiracy to arrest the brother of the Congress` state president.
Addressing a press conference, CPI(M) state secretary Bijan Dhar said, "We have demanded an inquiry and punishment of the guilty. We oppose the charge that our party had hatched a conspiracy to arrest him."
Dhar alleged that the arrest had something to do with Sandip Burman`s quarrel with an Army colonel who was posted in Assam Rifles on Deputation and was allegedly manhandled by Burman on July 27.
The incident occurred in a private telecom company outlet on July 27 when the colonel protested against arbitrary billing.
An Army press release issued here on October 16 had said that General Officer Commanding of Dimapur-based 3 Corps, AK Sahni, met the state chief minister and sought action against the assaulter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda