Arrested Tripura Congress chief`s brother released
Agartala: Tripura Pradesh Congress Committee president`s brother Sandeep Roy Burman who was arrested by the Assam Rifles from his brick field at Champaknagar was released Tuesday, police said.
Assam Rifles personnel yesterday raided Burman`s brick kiln about 30 km from here and handed him to the Jirania police station on the charge that he illegally possessed a revolver, Bangladeshi Taka 1500 and some extortion notices of the banned National Liberation Front of Tripura.
However, Sandip Burman refuted the charge, saying that he was framed and alleged it was a conspiracy hatched by the ruling CPI-M.
The police said it had released Sandeep Burman on bail because the charge brought against him by the Assam Rifles was `weak`.
TPCC president Sudip Roy Barman told reporters, "It is a conspiracy by the Tripura government to tarnish his image and that of his family."
However, the ruling CPI(M) denied that it had hatched a conspiracy to arrest the brother of the Congress` state president.
Addressing a press conference, CPI(M) state secretary Bijan Dhar said, "We have demanded an inquiry and punishment of the guilty. We oppose the charge that our party had hatched a conspiracy to arrest him."
Dhar alleged that the arrest had something to do with Sandip Burman`s quarrel with an Army colonel who was posted in Assam Rifles on Deputation and was allegedly manhandled by Burman on July 27.
The incident occurred in a private telecom company outlet on July 27 when the colonel protested against arbitrary billing.
An Army press release issued here on October 16 had said that General Officer Commanding of Dimapur-based 3 Corps, AK Sahni, met the state chief minister and sought action against the assaulter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city