Arunachal asks Centre to withdraw coal block suspension
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh has pleaded the Centre to review and withdraw the suspension order on mining operation and disposal of coal at Namchik-Namphuk block in Changlang district of the state.
The Coal Controller during May last year suspended coal production from the block allocated to Arunachal Pradesh Mineral Development and Trading Corporation Limited (APMDTCL) following reports of involvement of underground activists in illegal mining of coal.
"The union home ministry in a letter on March last year requested the coal ministry to take over the mine by Coal India Limited to take control of mining of mineral resources in the state so that pilferage is stopped and the insurgent groups are not able to raise resources for weapon procurement," Chief Minister Nabam Tuki said in reply to a written question by Congress MLA Takar Marde.
Tuki, who also holds the mines and minerals portfolio further informed that the state government through a series of correspondences pleaded the Centre to withdraw the suspension order and awaiting response.
"The department of geology and mining has been pursuing vigorously to the concerned ministry to revoke the suspension order," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video