Arunachal assembly polls on April 9 along with LS election: EC
New Delhi: Elections to the 60-member Arunachal Pradesh assembly will be held along with Lok Sabha polls on April 9, the Election Commission announced Monday.
The decision of the poll body came days after state governor Lt Gen (retd) Nirbhay Singh recommended dissolution of the state assembly on March 6.
"Having considered all relevant factors, the Commission has decided that simultaneous election to the state legislative assembly for all 60 assembly constituencies of the state would be held along with the 16th Lok Sabha election," an EC order said late this evening.
The three Election Commissioners had met on Friday to discuss the issue.
The Arunachal Pradesh Governor had on Thursday announced the dissolution of the assembly after accepting the recommendation of the state cabinet which demanded holding of state elections.
Lok Sabha elections for the two seats in Arunachal Pradesh will also be held on April 9.
The tenure of the 60-member Arunachal assembly ends on November 4 this year.
The notification for the assembly polls will be announced on March 15 while nominations can be filed till march 22. After scrutiny of papers on March 24, nominations can be withdrawn till March 26.
The Commission had on March 5 announced the schedule for elections to the 16th Lok Sabha and assemblies of Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and Sikkim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'