Arunachal, B`desh discuss management of Brahmaputra river
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh and Bangladesh have discussed several measures for better management of the Brahmaputra river for mutual benefit, official sources said on Saturday.
Arunachal Pradesh Water Resources Development Minister Newlai Tingkhatra during a meeting here yesterday with the visiting Bangladesh High Commissioner to India Tariq A Khan discussed ways to tackle the problem of siltation through river dredging and building embankments so that proper water depth was developed for inland water transportation.
Khan advocated an integrated and holistic management of the flood problem in Arunachal Pradesh as well as the Brahmaputra basin, the sources said.
He also said that Bangladesh was equally concerned and apprehensive over diversion of Brahmaputra`s water in China.
"Arunachal Pradesh is the source of water for Brahmaputra basin and thus the primary stakeholder in all respects in the management of Brahmaputra in terms of hydropower generation and navigation," he said.
The meeting was also attended by Bangladesh Commerce Minister Md Habibur Rahman Khan.
Later, the High Commissioner called on the Governor General (Retd) J J Singh at Raj Bhawan and discussed various matters including inland waterways, Brahmaputra River project and areas of prospective trade and commercial activities.
The governor emphasised on cooperation for mutual benefits, energy (hydropower) sharing, people to people contact and opening up of more avenues for economic opportunities.
Khan stressed on sub-regional cooperation. He apprised the governor of the proposed meetings on Brahmaputra and Ganga basins with India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Nepal, the sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended