Arunachal BJP unit protests simultaneous polls
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh unit of BJP has lodged its protest with Election Commission of India (EC) on the alleged demand of the state government to conduct simultaneous Lok Sabha and assembly polls in the state.
The party in a representation to the EC yesterday said that the proposal violated Section 15 of Representation of the People Act, which states that state assembly election cannot be notified any time earlier than 6 months before the date on which the duration of the sitting assembly expires.
"The term of the Arunachal Pradesh state legislative assembly will expire on November 4 next and scheduling the two elections simultaneously can hamper ongoing development projects in the state as the financial year is about to close besides forcing a division of manpower during elections," the party said in the representation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!