Arunachal BJP unit protests simultaneous polls
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh unit of BJP has lodged its protest with Election Commission of India (EC) on the alleged demand of the state government to conduct simultaneous Lok Sabha and assembly polls in the state.
The party in a representation to the EC yesterday said that the proposal violated Section 15 of Representation of the People Act, which states that state assembly election cannot be notified any time earlier than 6 months before the date on which the duration of the sitting assembly expires.
"The term of the Arunachal Pradesh state legislative assembly will expire on November 4 next and scheduling the two elections simultaneously can hamper ongoing development projects in the state as the financial year is about to close besides forcing a division of manpower during elections," the party said in the representation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly