Arunachal blames Centre for its apathy to LE policy
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh on Thursday raised
concern over Centre`s alleged apathy in implementing the `Look
East` policy which, if in force, would boost development in
the north eastern region.
"The North-East is lagging behind other regions of the
country because of the failure of the Centre to implement the
Look East Policy in real terms," Public Health Engineering
Department (PHED) Minister, Chowna Mein told the 13th annual
conference of the North East Region Commonwealth Parliamentary
Association (NERCPA) here.
It was urgent to reopen border trade with neighbouring
countries which would entirely change the economy of the
region, he said.
Insincere effort to develop the poor connectivity
between north eastern region and south eastern Asia underlined
the short sightedness of the policy makers since it hindered
the development of the region, he said.
Advocating reopening the Stilwell Road connecting
North-East with SE Asian countries, Mein said that the vital
road should be a priority for India for implementation of the
Look East policy undertaken in 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- LIVE: Indian Army destroys 7 terror launch pads across Line of Control