Arunachal for early completion of Bahulkpong-Tawang road
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh PWD Minister Gojen Gadi Thursday said that the state government will soon pressurise the Centre for early completion of the strategic Bahulkpong-Tawang road executed by the Border Roads Organisation.
Responding to a question raised by BJP member Japu Deru during Question Hour regarding delay in completion of the road which is vital from Defence point of view, Gadi informed that work on 123 km of the road (total length of 317.52 km) had been completed.
"Out of the works completed, 31 km road lies between Sela and Tawang while 92 km is between Balipara to Sela. A total length of 60 km between Balipara and Sela and 32.54 km between Sela and Tawang are yet to be completed," he disclosed adding, a length of 92. 52 km road has been targeted to be completed by 2015.
The minister said, remaining road (length 102 km) has no definite timeline of completion due to non-availability of environmental clearance, land acquisition, non-finalization of road alignment and CBI enquiry over alleged irregularities in payment of compensation.
In reply to a supplementary from Deru, the minister informed that the approximate cost per km of the road was estimated at 2.5 to 3 crore.
Stating that the Balipara-Tawang road whose completion would provide connectivity to Sino-Indo border, Deru while raising the question informed the House that road built in 1962, during the Chinese aggression, was still in dilapidated condition even after 52 years.
"The road is half dug and left in non-motorable condition affecting economy of the local people," the MLA from Bomdila said.
Independent legislator from Tawang, Tsering Tashi disclosed that the progress of the road was slow since 2008 when the state PWD handed it over to BRO.
Tashi also claimed that a several precious lives were lost every year due to road accidents because of the ramshackle condition of the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened