Arunachal for early completion of Bahulkpong-Tawang road
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh PWD Minister Gojen Gadi Thursday said that the state government will soon pressurise the Centre for early completion of the strategic Bahulkpong-Tawang road executed by the Border Roads Organisation.
Responding to a question raised by BJP member Japu Deru during Question Hour regarding delay in completion of the road which is vital from Defence point of view, Gadi informed that work on 123 km of the road (total length of 317.52 km) had been completed.
"Out of the works completed, 31 km road lies between Sela and Tawang while 92 km is between Balipara to Sela. A total length of 60 km between Balipara and Sela and 32.54 km between Sela and Tawang are yet to be completed," he disclosed adding, a length of 92. 52 km road has been targeted to be completed by 2015.
The minister said, remaining road (length 102 km) has no definite timeline of completion due to non-availability of environmental clearance, land acquisition, non-finalization of road alignment and CBI enquiry over alleged irregularities in payment of compensation.
In reply to a supplementary from Deru, the minister informed that the approximate cost per km of the road was estimated at 2.5 to 3 crore.
Stating that the Balipara-Tawang road whose completion would provide connectivity to Sino-Indo border, Deru while raising the question informed the House that road built in 1962, during the Chinese aggression, was still in dilapidated condition even after 52 years.
"The road is half dug and left in non-motorable condition affecting economy of the local people," the MLA from Bomdila said.
Independent legislator from Tawang, Tsering Tashi disclosed that the progress of the road was slow since 2008 when the state PWD handed it over to BRO.
Tashi also claimed that a several precious lives were lost every year due to road accidents because of the ramshackle condition of the road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump