Arunachal Governor for dams to check floods
Shillong: Against the backdrop of frequent floods in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh Governor Gen (retd) JJ Singh Wednesday batted for construction of scientific check dams in the river Brahmaputra to avert flooding in the low lying areas along its course.
"There should be proper study done, analysis and then steps taken to find long term enduring solutions to floods in Assam, low lying areas of Arunachal Pradesh (and Meghalaya),? Singh told reporters after calling on his counterpart in Meghalaya here of his two day visit to Meghalaya.
Singh said dams should be constructed after a thorough analysis and scientific surveys are conducted and constructed only where it is required.
The Governor also said that the Government institutions like the North Eastern Council and the DoNER Ministry should take the lead in the finding lasting solutions to the flood problems in the region.
Castigating on the opposition to big dams by NGOs, Singh said they (NGOs) should be explaining today if dams would or would not help if regulated flow of water takes places during heavy monsoons.
Asked on the diversion threat of major tributaries of the Brahmaputra in China’s Tibet region, the former Army chief said, "We must not be carried away by information which is not corroborated by facts on the grounds."
He said, today the Government is in a position to know whether it is a dam or an electricity project where water is stored for generation of electricity by using satellite images.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'