Arunachal govt to take over Tezu jail
Itanagar: The Arunachal Pradesh government has decided to take over the existing district jail at Tezu in Lohit district, currently being occupied by the CRPF.
The decision to this effect was taken in the wake of the sensational jail break case of the Chowkham police outpost lock up from where 18 undertrial prisoners had escaped on July 19, official sources said here on Thursday.
The incident had raised questions about the competency of the police and judicial system in the district.
In the first phase, the units for juveniles, women and mentally retarded have been handed over to the Arunachal Pradesh Prison Authority.
Recently, IGP (Prison) J K Sharma had an elaborate meeting with the DC and SP for the early takeover of the jail, sources said.
"The jail also needs renovation as the main door and other minor infrastructures are not in good shape to accommodate the prisoners. The first phase of occupation will provide accommodation for 20 detainees and rest would be taken up in second phase," the jailer said.
When queried about the shifting of the unit, CRPF Assistant Commandant J H Mandal said the entire establishment was made comfortable for the battalion.
"Several structures were built within the jail complex to make comfort the officials, general force and to store artillery and other requisite equipments which need several months to shift. Moreover, at Namsai where the battalion is reallocated has inadequate space and lacks other essential amenities. We have to build up everything and require phase-wise shifting, which is not an easy task," he said.
According to sources, total occupation of the jail by the government will be completed by January next.
Chief Minster Nabum Tuki, who also holds the Home portfolio, following the jailbreak incident, has immediately asked the prison department to take over district jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?