Arunachal govt to take over Tezu jail
Itanagar: The Arunachal Pradesh government has decided to take over the existing district jail at Tezu in Lohit district, currently being occupied by the CRPF.
The decision to this effect was taken in the wake of the sensational jail break case of the Chowkham police outpost lock up from where 18 undertrial prisoners had escaped on July 19, official sources said here on Thursday.
The incident had raised questions about the competency of the police and judicial system in the district.
In the first phase, the units for juveniles, women and mentally retarded have been handed over to the Arunachal Pradesh Prison Authority.
Recently, IGP (Prison) J K Sharma had an elaborate meeting with the DC and SP for the early takeover of the jail, sources said.
"The jail also needs renovation as the main door and other minor infrastructures are not in good shape to accommodate the prisoners. The first phase of occupation will provide accommodation for 20 detainees and rest would be taken up in second phase," the jailer said.
When queried about the shifting of the unit, CRPF Assistant Commandant J H Mandal said the entire establishment was made comfortable for the battalion.
"Several structures were built within the jail complex to make comfort the officials, general force and to store artillery and other requisite equipments which need several months to shift. Moreover, at Namsai where the battalion is reallocated has inadequate space and lacks other essential amenities. We have to build up everything and require phase-wise shifting, which is not an easy task," he said.
According to sources, total occupation of the jail by the government will be completed by January next.
Chief Minster Nabum Tuki, who also holds the Home portfolio, following the jailbreak incident, has immediately asked the prison department to take over district jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'