Arunachal integral part of India: Chidambaram
Itanagar: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram has reiterated India’s stand on Arunachal Pradesh and Tawang on his visit here to review the security situation in the state amid speculation that Myanmar may launch an operation against Northeast militants having bases there.
Chidambaram said Tawang and Arunachal were both an integral part of India. He told a TV channel that violence had gone down in the North East and that ULFA was expected to join in the talks process.
Chidambaram, who arrived here today on a two-day visit,
will hold a high level meeting with the Army and security
Arunachal Pradesh will soon have
a rail link and an airport which will help it in exploiting
the tourism potential, he also said.
Work on both projects were on and millions of tourists
from the world over were waiting to enjoy the pristine natural
beauty of the hilly forested border state, Chidambaram said
at a function after launching a bamboo processing unit at
Poma model village, 35 km from here.
He said tourism created more jobs than the same amount of
money invested in other sectors.
He was also scheduled to visit Khonsha, headquarters of
Tirap, a district declared disturbed along with adjoining
Changlang, under the Armed Forces Special Power Act because of
activities of militants from neighbouring Nagaland and Assam.
The militants use the forests in the two districts
sharing border with Myanmar as corridor to their bases across
the international border.
After being driven out from Bhutan and Bangladesh, the
militants have reportedly taken refuge in camps in Myanmar.
Union Home Secretary G K Pillai had visited Naypyidaw,
the new Myanmarese capital, in January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation