Arunachal newspapers hit stands after five days
Itanagar: Newspapers hit the stands in Arunachal Pradesh on Wednesday, lifting five days of suspension of publication, following an assurance by Chief Minister Nabam Tuki to redress media organisations` grievances on security.
The assurance was given by the Chief Minister at a meeting attended by representatives of the Arunachal Press Club (APC) and Arunachal Pradesh Union of Working Journalist (APUWJ) last evening, official sources said.
During the meeting, the media organisations voiced their concerns for security, particularly relating to their confrontation with the Students` Union Movement of Arunachal (SUMA) that forced the suspension of publication of newspapers in the state from February 14.
Tuki highlighted the steps taken by him, including deployment of police personnel and installation of CCTV in media houses. He also directed the Capital Complex SP to provide 24x7 security to all media establishments.
Responding to a demand that all press establishments should be notified as prohibited areas after 5 pm and any entry would be treated illegal, the Chief Minister directed Capital Complex DC to issue an order to that effect forthwith.
To another demand for enactment of a law as special protection to media persons against frequent violence and intimidation, Tuki assured them of forming a committee for the needful.
In an official order, the capital complex DC imposed section 144 of the CrPc, banning entry of people to media houses and offices after 5 pm and anybody who enters or attempts to enter would be treated as trespasser(s).
It further said all concerned should deliver their press releases in a box in front of media houses and should not make any attempt to meet media persons for publication of any item.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars