Arunachal newspapers hit stands after five days
Itanagar: Newspapers hit the stands in Arunachal Pradesh on Wednesday, lifting five days of suspension of publication, following an assurance by Chief Minister Nabam Tuki to redress media organisations` grievances on security.
The assurance was given by the Chief Minister at a meeting attended by representatives of the Arunachal Press Club (APC) and Arunachal Pradesh Union of Working Journalist (APUWJ) last evening, official sources said.
During the meeting, the media organisations voiced their concerns for security, particularly relating to their confrontation with the Students` Union Movement of Arunachal (SUMA) that forced the suspension of publication of newspapers in the state from February 14.
Tuki highlighted the steps taken by him, including deployment of police personnel and installation of CCTV in media houses. He also directed the Capital Complex SP to provide 24x7 security to all media establishments.
Responding to a demand that all press establishments should be notified as prohibited areas after 5 pm and any entry would be treated illegal, the Chief Minister directed Capital Complex DC to issue an order to that effect forthwith.
To another demand for enactment of a law as special protection to media persons against frequent violence and intimidation, Tuki assured them of forming a committee for the needful.
In an official order, the capital complex DC imposed section 144 of the CrPc, banning entry of people to media houses and offices after 5 pm and anybody who enters or attempts to enter would be treated as trespasser(s).
It further said all concerned should deliver their press releases in a box in front of media houses and should not make any attempt to meet media persons for publication of any item.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani