Arunachal Pradesh flood toll at 9
Itanagar: With five more deaths reported from remote Anjaw district bordering China, the toll in the current floods in Arunachal Pradesh rose to nine on Tuesday, while four persons were missing in worst-affected Lohit district.
All seven administrative centres - Hayuliang, Hawai, Manchal, Goliang, Walong, Kibitho and Chaglogam were completely cut off, Economic Adviser to CM Kalikho Pul said.
The five deaths were reported from different parts of the hilly district.
There were 30 to 35 major breaches on the Tezu-Hayuliang Road which has become unmotorable, leaving thousand stranded in the district which was devastated by landslides and floods triggered by torrential rain since September 16.
A population of 21,000 were without food, water, electricity, fuel and domestic LPG cylinders, with water supply lines washed away and telephone and electric posts uprooted, Pul said.
With road communications disrupted, and telephone and electricity snapped for the last nine days, assessing the magnitude of the devastation was next to impossible, Pul said.
Though there was acute shortage of rations and requisition sent to the state government, ration sorties were not possible because of constant bad weather, he said.
Four were missing while going to Tezu from Hayuliang, Lohit Deputy Commissioner R K Sharma said.
Three were rescued by the GREF and army personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?