Arunachal Pradesh flood toll at 9
Itanagar: With five more deaths reported from remote Anjaw district bordering China, the toll in the current floods in Arunachal Pradesh rose to nine on Tuesday, while four persons were missing in worst-affected Lohit district.
All seven administrative centres - Hayuliang, Hawai, Manchal, Goliang, Walong, Kibitho and Chaglogam were completely cut off, Economic Adviser to CM Kalikho Pul said.
The five deaths were reported from different parts of the hilly district.
There were 30 to 35 major breaches on the Tezu-Hayuliang Road which has become unmotorable, leaving thousand stranded in the district which was devastated by landslides and floods triggered by torrential rain since September 16.
A population of 21,000 were without food, water, electricity, fuel and domestic LPG cylinders, with water supply lines washed away and telephone and electric posts uprooted, Pul said.
With road communications disrupted, and telephone and electricity snapped for the last nine days, assessing the magnitude of the devastation was next to impossible, Pul said.
Though there was acute shortage of rations and requisition sent to the state government, ration sorties were not possible because of constant bad weather, he said.
Four were missing while going to Tezu from Hayuliang, Lohit Deputy Commissioner R K Sharma said.
Three were rescued by the GREF and army personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!