Arunachal Pradesh minister dies of heart attack
Itanagar: Former social welfare, woman and child development minister Newlai Tingkhatra died at a hospital in Haryana`s Gurgaon district following a massive heart attack, family sources said here on Thursday.
He was 56 and is survived by his wife, two sons and two daughters.
Tingkhatra passed away last night after he was admitted in a critical condition at a private hospital at Gurgaon on April 25.
He suffered a stroke on the previous day and was kept on life-support system in the ICU ward of the hospital. He was reportedly in coma after a massive heart attack causing brain hemorrhage.
His body was brought to All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi this morning where his well wishers including Chief Minister Nabam Tuki paid his last respect.
His body would be taken to his native village at Kanubari in Longding district tomorrow for performing the last rites, sources said.
Tingkhatra had contested the April 9 Assembly elections in the state from Kanubari constituency on Congress ticket.
A three-term cabinet minister under various capacities including the last government under Nabam Tuki, Tingkhatra won Kanubari seat for three consecutive terms since 1999.
He is a famous tea planter in the state.
Tuki, who visited the AIIMS this morning to pay the last respect, termed him as a great statesman and a veteran politician of the state.
"With his death a vacuum has been created in the state which cannot be filled in the years to come," Tuki said in a statement from New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof