Arunachal Pradesh remembers Dorjee Khandu
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh on Monday remembered former Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu who was killed in a tragic helicopter crash at Tawang last year.
The people of Tawang paid rich tribute to Khandu by marching 7km from Tawang Monastery to his cremation ground at Famla.
About nine thousand people gathered at Tawang monastery this morning and participated in the march, official sources informed.
Earlier at the Monastery, the abbot of Tawang monastery, Guru Rimpoche addressed the gathering and urged them to remember the visionary deeds of Khandu which ushered in an era of prosperity in the state.
He along with monks from Tawang monastery offered prayers for early rebirth of the departed soul in `Monyul` Tawang.
At the cremation ground, 108 butter lamps were alighted by senior monks and public.
A three-day-long ritualistic puja which was initiated by Gyalsay Rimpoche and other senior monks at the private residence of Khandu from April 28 last to mark the first death anniversary of the departed soul ended today.
The Arunachal State Badminton Association (ASBA) observed his first death anniversary at Raj Bhawan here in presence of all the members with great honour, a communiqu said.
Khandu, the former president of ASBA was a big fan of sports and was instrumental in taking Badminton to a new height in the state.
Members of the ASBA paid homage to the departed soul at the Raj Bhawan Badminton Hall and conveyed heartiest condolence to the family members of Khandu.
The chopper carrying Khandu and four others on board crashed in a hillock near Lubuthang immediately after take-off from Tawang helipad on the day.
His body was recovered after five days of intensive search operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened