Arunachal Pradesh remembers Dorjee Khandu
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh on Monday remembered former Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu who was killed in a tragic helicopter crash at Tawang last year.
The people of Tawang paid rich tribute to Khandu by marching 7km from Tawang Monastery to his cremation ground at Famla.
About nine thousand people gathered at Tawang monastery this morning and participated in the march, official sources informed.
Earlier at the Monastery, the abbot of Tawang monastery, Guru Rimpoche addressed the gathering and urged them to remember the visionary deeds of Khandu which ushered in an era of prosperity in the state.
He along with monks from Tawang monastery offered prayers for early rebirth of the departed soul in `Monyul` Tawang.
At the cremation ground, 108 butter lamps were alighted by senior monks and public.
A three-day-long ritualistic puja which was initiated by Gyalsay Rimpoche and other senior monks at the private residence of Khandu from April 28 last to mark the first death anniversary of the departed soul ended today.
The Arunachal State Badminton Association (ASBA) observed his first death anniversary at Raj Bhawan here in presence of all the members with great honour, a communiqu said.
Khandu, the former president of ASBA was a big fan of sports and was instrumental in taking Badminton to a new height in the state.
Members of the ASBA paid homage to the departed soul at the Raj Bhawan Badminton Hall and conveyed heartiest condolence to the family members of Khandu.
The chopper carrying Khandu and four others on board crashed in a hillock near Lubuthang immediately after take-off from Tawang helipad on the day.
His body was recovered after five days of intensive search operation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents