Arunachal Pradesh school hostel warden held for raping 14 girls
Itanagar: A shocking case of rape of 14 minor girls allegedly by the hostel warden of a private school in Likabai in West Siang district has come to light after a few students reported the matter to police.
The rape of the girls in the age group of 4 to 13 for over three years has triggered protests with local residents, students and members from the civil society hitting the streets last evening to protest against the crime.
They also gheraoed the Likabali Police Station, demanding capital punishment for the culprits.
The incident came to light when a few students of the school yesterday managed to report the crime to the Likabali Police Station, police said here today.
Vipin Wisvan, a non-Arunachalee teacher in the school, who also serves as the warden of the hostel, was arrested yesterday in this connection. The school principal and two other staff were also detained for interrogation.
A case had been registered at the Likabali Police Station and an investigation was on, the police said.
According to police, the molestation and rape of students were going on at the school for the last three years.
After committing the offence, the accused had threatened the girls with dire consequences if they disclosed his act to the parents.
It was alleged that when the matter was brought to the knowledge of the school principal by the students yesterday, the principal tried to hush up the matter.
Then a few students mustered courage to scale the boundary wall and reported the matter at the police station.
The Arunachal Law Students Union, Galo Students` Union, All Galo Students Union condemned the incident and appealed to the authorities not to grant bail to the culprits. Other organisations too demanded harsh punishment to the offenders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'