Ashok Chakra awardee passes away
Shillong: Lieutenant Colonel (Retd) Man Bahadur Rai, the oldest surviving recipient of the highest
peace time gallantry award Ashok Chakra, passed away at his
residence in Assam`s Jorhat district, officials said on Tuesday.
Rai left for his heavenly abode at the age of 95 years
yesterday at his residence after old-age illness.
He had served 8th Assam Rifles during the tumultuous
era of the sixties and was awarded the Ashok Chakra in 1961
for his gallant action against insurgents in Nagaland, where
he led a platoon through two hostile positions into the heart
of insurgents` stronghold and was successful in dislodging
them from that position, Assam Rifles spokesman Lt Col A K
Choudhury said in a statement.
"In yet another operation on 3 May 1961, he had led a
platoon against strongly fortified hostile position, which was
situated on the steep slope of a ravine. On locating the
hostile position, he threw hand grenades, killing a few
hostiles and physically charged the position killing two more
hostiles. This fearless and unexpected assault had spurred his
men into action and so demoralised the hostiles that they fled
into the thick jungle," the statement read.
The auditorium at Assam Rifles in the Laitkor garrison
here is named after this braveheart.
The officer was laid to rest with full military honour
during a befitting ceremony at his home place and the Director
General Assam Rifles Rameshwar Roy expressed his deep
condolences to the family of the departed soul.
A wreath to honour the veteran soldier was laid at the
funeral ceremony today on behalf of the DG Assam Rifles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!