Asom Gana Parishad can provide stable govt: Mahanta
Guwahati: The newly elected leader of the opposition in Assam assembly Prafulla Kumar Mahanta on Sunday claimed that his party Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) was in a
position to form a stable government when the state goes to the polls next year.
"AGP is in a position to form a stable government with the help of its allies and provide a viable alternative to the Congress which has formed back-to-back governments," Mahanta, also two time chief minister and founder of the party, told a news agency here.
The people of the state, he said, had accepted the concept of collective leadership of the party which was evident in the rallies held by the AGP recently in various
parts of the state.
"There is a lot of relevance of the regional party in state politics and the people have realised its importance", Mahanta, who took over as leader of the opposition from
Chandra Mohan Patowary recently, said.
Regretting that internal disturbances within AGP had helped Congerss regain power for the second time, Mahanta said his partymen have realised the mistakes and were now firmly united to take up the challenge in the next election.
AGP was committed to work for social, political as well as economic development of the state and has chalked out a detailed programme in this regard, he said.
Lambasting the Tarun Gogoi government in the state, Mahanta alleged it was giving it was `carrying out false propaganda in the name of development but in reality no
one was benefitted`.
The Congress government had totally failed to maintain law and order and the geographical boundaries of the state. It had also failed in tackling price rise even though the party headed the UPA government at the Centre, he said.
The public distribution system should be made more transparent to check the rise in the prices of essential commodities. "Surprisingly items given by the PDS are being
sold in the open market at a higher rate and the government has remained only a spectator", he charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy