Asom Gana Parishad can provide stable govt: Mahanta
Guwahati: The newly elected leader of the opposition in Assam assembly Prafulla Kumar Mahanta on Sunday claimed that his party Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) was in a
position to form a stable government when the state goes to the polls next year.
"AGP is in a position to form a stable government with the help of its allies and provide a viable alternative to the Congress which has formed back-to-back governments," Mahanta, also two time chief minister and founder of the party, told a news agency here.
The people of the state, he said, had accepted the concept of collective leadership of the party which was evident in the rallies held by the AGP recently in various
parts of the state.
"There is a lot of relevance of the regional party in state politics and the people have realised its importance", Mahanta, who took over as leader of the opposition from
Chandra Mohan Patowary recently, said.
Regretting that internal disturbances within AGP had helped Congerss regain power for the second time, Mahanta said his partymen have realised the mistakes and were now firmly united to take up the challenge in the next election.
AGP was committed to work for social, political as well as economic development of the state and has chalked out a detailed programme in this regard, he said.
Lambasting the Tarun Gogoi government in the state, Mahanta alleged it was giving it was `carrying out false propaganda in the name of development but in reality no
one was benefitted`.
The Congress government had totally failed to maintain law and order and the geographical boundaries of the state. It had also failed in tackling price rise even though the party headed the UPA government at the Centre, he said.
The public distribution system should be made more transparent to check the rise in the prices of essential commodities. "Surprisingly items given by the PDS are being
sold in the open market at a higher rate and the government has remained only a spectator", he charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Merger with Samajwadi Party difficult, can forge alliance: Mukhtar Ansari
- Pakistan forces seal MQM party headquarters after TV station attack
- Suspended AAP MP Dharamvira Gandhi floats new front
- Now, get your email address in Hindi
- None of your concern, says Indian Army after China's warning over deployment of BrahMos missile in Arunachal