Asom Gana Parishad President resigns
Guwahati: A day after his party`s dismal
performance in the Assam assembly election, opposition Asom
Gana Parishad President Chandra Mohan Patowary on Saturday announced
his resignation from the party.
Owning moral responsibility for his party`s poor
showing, Patowary submitted his resignation papers to the
party working President Phani Bhusan Choudhury.
In the just-concluded election, the AGP managed to win
only 10 seats compared to Congress` 78 in the 126-member
The party suffered humiliation when Patowary himself
bit the dust in his home Dharmapur constituency which has been
wrested by his Congress opponent and former minister Nilomani
Opposition leader and two-time former Chief Minister
Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, who contested from two constituencies,
could manage to win from one in Bahrampur.
The AGP founder-president lost to forest minister
Rockybul Hussain in the Samuguri seat.
Immediately after the party`s defeat, Mahanta had
alleged that victory of the Congress could be possible only
because EVMs were tampered with in various strong rooms in
connivance with government and police officials, a charge
which Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi denied.
Kolkata: Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee is the
second sitting chief minister in West Bengal after late
Prafulla Chandra Sen to bow out of office after accepting
electoral defeat in the state.
Sen, a veteran Congressman and chief minister from
July 8, 1962 to March 15, 1967, was defeated by his one-time
ministerial colleague Ajay Mukherjee of Bangla Congress at
Arambagh assembly constituency in the fourth general election
in 1967 by only 881 votes.
In the elections, Congress lost power in the state,
paving way for the first United Front government led by Ajay
In the just-concluded assembly elections,
Bhattacharjee of the CPI-M received a severe drubbing from a
former chief secretary Manish Gupta of the Trinamool Congress
at his Jadavpur constituency and lost the seat he held since
1987 by a wide margin of 16,684 votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi