Asom Gana Parishad President resigns
Guwahati: A day after his party`s dismal
performance in the Assam assembly election, opposition Asom
Gana Parishad President Chandra Mohan Patowary on Saturday announced
his resignation from the party.
Owning moral responsibility for his party`s poor
showing, Patowary submitted his resignation papers to the
party working President Phani Bhusan Choudhury.
In the just-concluded election, the AGP managed to win
only 10 seats compared to Congress` 78 in the 126-member
The party suffered humiliation when Patowary himself
bit the dust in his home Dharmapur constituency which has been
wrested by his Congress opponent and former minister Nilomani
Opposition leader and two-time former Chief Minister
Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, who contested from two constituencies,
could manage to win from one in Bahrampur.
The AGP founder-president lost to forest minister
Rockybul Hussain in the Samuguri seat.
Immediately after the party`s defeat, Mahanta had
alleged that victory of the Congress could be possible only
because EVMs were tampered with in various strong rooms in
connivance with government and police officials, a charge
which Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi denied.
Kolkata: Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee is the
second sitting chief minister in West Bengal after late
Prafulla Chandra Sen to bow out of office after accepting
electoral defeat in the state.
Sen, a veteran Congressman and chief minister from
July 8, 1962 to March 15, 1967, was defeated by his one-time
ministerial colleague Ajay Mukherjee of Bangla Congress at
Arambagh assembly constituency in the fourth general election
in 1967 by only 881 votes.
In the elections, Congress lost power in the state,
paving way for the first United Front government led by Ajay
In the just-concluded assembly elections,
Bhattacharjee of the CPI-M received a severe drubbing from a
former chief secretary Manish Gupta of the Trinamool Congress
at his Jadavpur constituency and lost the seat he held since
1987 by a wide margin of 16,684 votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday