Assam: Abducted eighth standard girl released
Sibsagar: A girl student, allegedly abducted by an unknown gunman in upper Assam`s Sibsagar district, was today released along the interstate-border with Nagaland, police sources said.
The Class VIII student of Kendriya Vidyalaya at Nazira, was abducted along with 10 others but the rest were released soon afterwards.
The girl, after safely reaching home, told reporters that she was taken by foot across a stream and into a forest in the night and released early this morning by her abductor.
At around 4 AM she walked about two km to a village near a tea garden and told the locals about her plight following which they informed the police, the girl said.
The security personal brought her to the police station and informed her father who came and took her home, police sources said.
The girl told the police and the media that she bravely volunteered to be taken by the abductor instead of a small child as she was crying in fear.
Stating she was not treated badly by her abductor even though he gave her no food, the girl said, the man speaking in Hindi kept reassuring her that he would not harm her but release her soon as he himself had a child of her age.
He had, however, tucked the pistol inside her mouth when the security personnel were calling out her name during the search operation last evening, she said.
Yesterday 11 children of two schools travelling in a van were taken away at gun point by a person and released ten of them before fleeing with the girl towards Nagaland.
The gunman, brandishing two pistols after an argument with people at a roadside restaurant at Simoluguri, ran out on the road and came in front of the van carrying the 11 students from Kendriya Vidyalaya and Gurukul school in Nazira, police sources said.
As the van stopped, the gunman pointed his pistol at the driver`s temple and got inside the vehicle asking him to drive towards Nagaland, the sources said, adding, he then released ten children at Bihubor before fleeing away on foot with one child.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees