Assam Assembly demands Bharat Ratna for Bhupen Hazarika
Guwahati: The Assam Assembly today
unanimously passed a resolution urging the Centre to present
the country`s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna, to music
legend Bhupen Hazarika.
A proposal was moved by opposition Asom Gana Parishad
(AGP) members who demanded the 83-year-old Hazarika be given
the award for his contribution to art and culture.
In 1992, the singer-composer was awarded the Dadasaheb
Phalke Award for lifetime achievements in cinema.
Cutting across party lines, MLAs hailed Hazarika as an
icon who has left a mark in the country`s cultural history.
Urging the Centre to present the award during his
lifetime, they demanded a formal resolution be passed in the
After the Cultural Affairs Minister Bharat Narah
agreed with the members the House, a unanimous resolution was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why