Assam Assembly demands Bharat Ratna for Bhupen Hazarika
Guwahati: The Assam Assembly today
unanimously passed a resolution urging the Centre to present
the country`s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna, to music
legend Bhupen Hazarika.
A proposal was moved by opposition Asom Gana Parishad
(AGP) members who demanded the 83-year-old Hazarika be given
the award for his contribution to art and culture.
In 1992, the singer-composer was awarded the Dadasaheb
Phalke Award for lifetime achievements in cinema.
Cutting across party lines, MLAs hailed Hazarika as an
icon who has left a mark in the country`s cultural history.
Urging the Centre to present the award during his
lifetime, they demanded a formal resolution be passed in the
After the Cultural Affairs Minister Bharat Narah
agreed with the members the House, a unanimous resolution was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened