Assam Assembly demands Bharat Ratna for Bhupen Hazarika
Guwahati: The Assam Assembly today
unanimously passed a resolution urging the Centre to present
the country`s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna, to music
legend Bhupen Hazarika.
A proposal was moved by opposition Asom Gana Parishad
(AGP) members who demanded the 83-year-old Hazarika be given
the award for his contribution to art and culture.
In 1992, the singer-composer was awarded the Dadasaheb
Phalke Award for lifetime achievements in cinema.
Cutting across party lines, MLAs hailed Hazarika as an
icon who has left a mark in the country`s cultural history.
Urging the Centre to present the award during his
lifetime, they demanded a formal resolution be passed in the
After the Cultural Affairs Minister Bharat Narah
agreed with the members the House, a unanimous resolution was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1