Assam Assembly demands Bharat Ratna for Bhupen Hazarika
Guwahati: The Assam Assembly today
unanimously passed a resolution urging the Centre to present
the country`s highest civilian award, Bharat Ratna, to music
legend Bhupen Hazarika.
A proposal was moved by opposition Asom Gana Parishad
(AGP) members who demanded the 83-year-old Hazarika be given
the award for his contribution to art and culture.
In 1992, the singer-composer was awarded the Dadasaheb
Phalke Award for lifetime achievements in cinema.
Cutting across party lines, MLAs hailed Hazarika as an
icon who has left a mark in the country`s cultural history.
Urging the Centre to present the award during his
lifetime, they demanded a formal resolution be passed in the
After the Cultural Affairs Minister Bharat Narah
agreed with the members the House, a unanimous resolution was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!