Assam CM Gogoi to undergo two heart surgeries
Mumbai: A 20-member team of doctors will perform two heart surgeries on Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi at the Asian Heart Institute here Wednesday.
"The surgeries are complex, but not complicated and we expect the Chief Minister to be fully fit and back to normal work in about four weeks," Dr Ramakant Panda, renowned cardiac surgeon and managing director of the Asian Heart Institute, said.
The Chief Minister would require two surgeries - a bypass surgery and another surgery to replace an aortic valve with 70 to 80 percent blocks in two blood vessels.
"We would be taking about six to eight hours for the surgeries and then he would be in the hospital for about three weeks before we allow him to go back to Guwahati and resume his normal work," Panda said.
The Chief Minister complained of breathing problems and a rise in blood pressure July 24 while attending the meeting of the National Development Council in New Delhi chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
He was then admitted to the Max Hospital in New Delhi and later shifted to the Asian Heart Institute.
"I would like to thank all the people of Assam for their support and wishes for my speedy recovery," the Chief Minister said.
The cardiac surgeon said the Chief Minister`s health parameters were normal and there should be no problems during the surgeries.
"All his health parameters are absolutely fine and, more than that, his self confidence is pretty high and hence we are happy about it," said Panda, who also led the team of doctors that carried out a bypass surgery on Manmohan Singh last year.
"I love taking up challenges and risks," Panda said.
He and his team are credited with performing about 12,000 heart surgeries, including hundreds of cases which most other doctors declared inoperable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India