Assam farmers body burn effigies of Arunachal CM
Guwahati: Effigies of Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Dorji Khandu were burnt in Assam by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti volunteers protesting his alleged "pressure" on
the Centre to carry on the proposed mega dams in his state.
The farmers body today burnt Khandu`s effigies in front of
the Secretariat here at Dispur and in different districts
forcing the police to pick up several protestors across the
state, official sources said.
The demonstrators with banners and placards also shouted
slogans accusing Khandu and his MLAs and MPs putting pressure
on the Centre.
According to KMSS general secretary Akhil Gogoi, following
a recent public hearing in Guwahati on the issue Union
Environment minister Jairam Ramesh had written a letter to the
PM urging a review of the mega dam project in the N-E region
and a moratorium on further clearances for hydel projects in
Arunachal Pradesh saying these were bound to be the subject of
agitation in Assam.
Khandu had submitted a memorandum to the Singh appealing
that the decision for construction of mega dams in Arunachal
should not be revoked, Gogoi asserted.
Sending a memorandum to the PM for revoking the decision
for mega dams there, he threatened to launch an economic
blockade against the neighbouring state and also stop the
transmission line of the Lower Subansiri Hydel Project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani