Assam flood situation critical
Guwahati: The flood situation in Assam
today remained critical with Brahmaputra and its tributaries
maintaining a rising trend and inundating vast tracts of land
in several districts following continuous heavy rainfall.
The Brahmaputra and its tributaries were flowing above
the danger mark at Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Jorhat,
Sonitpur, Morigaon, Dhubri districts and in Guwahati.
The river was flowing six cm above the danger mark in
Guwahati for the first time this year causing flood concerns
in the capital city, officials said.
The Brahmaputra and its tributaries were maintaining a
rising trend in most of the affected districts, barring
Goalpara where the water level was receding.
Over five lakh people have been affected in the
current wave of flood, they said.
In Morigaon, the situation deteriorated with nearly
150 villages under Bhuragaon and Mayong revenue circle
inundated and standing crops in more than 70 hectares
Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary in the district is
completely under water forcing animals, mostly one-horned
rhinos, pygmy hogs and wild buffaloes to move to nearby
The situation in the world-famed Kaziranga National
Park was also alarming as most of the animal habitats have
been inundated by Brahmaputra. The animals have taken shelter
in the highland areas of nearby Karbi Anglong district.
Road communication has also been disrupted in several
places following flooding of roads.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram