Assam flood situation critical
Guwahati: The flood situation in Assam
today remained critical with Brahmaputra and its tributaries
maintaining a rising trend and inundating vast tracts of land
in several districts following continuous heavy rainfall.
The Brahmaputra and its tributaries were flowing above
the danger mark at Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Jorhat,
Sonitpur, Morigaon, Dhubri districts and in Guwahati.
The river was flowing six cm above the danger mark in
Guwahati for the first time this year causing flood concerns
in the capital city, officials said.
The Brahmaputra and its tributaries were maintaining a
rising trend in most of the affected districts, barring
Goalpara where the water level was receding.
Over five lakh people have been affected in the
current wave of flood, they said.
In Morigaon, the situation deteriorated with nearly
150 villages under Bhuragaon and Mayong revenue circle
inundated and standing crops in more than 70 hectares
Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary in the district is
completely under water forcing animals, mostly one-horned
rhinos, pygmy hogs and wild buffaloes to move to nearby
The situation in the world-famed Kaziranga National
Park was also alarming as most of the animal habitats have
been inundated by Brahmaputra. The animals have taken shelter
in the highland areas of nearby Karbi Anglong district.
Road communication has also been disrupted in several
places following flooding of roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH