Assam floods: PM talks to Tarun Gogoi
New Delhi: With flood situation in Assam being critical, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday spoke to Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and assured him of all central help.
During the telephonic talk, the Prime Minister inquired about the latest on the flood situation and asked the Chief Minister what kind of help would be required from the Centre, PMO sources said.
Singh assured Gogoi that the Centre will extend all help to the state, they said.
Assam`s flood situation is critical with 11 districts being inundated by the swollen Brahmaputra and its tributaries affecting over one lakh people.
The 11 affected districts are Dhemaji, Tinsukia, Chirang, Nagaon, Golaghat, Jorhat, Kamrup, Karimganj, Lakhimpur, Morigaon and Sibsagar.
Heavy rainfall in the catchment areas of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh has caused river Jiadhol to rise and inundate fresh areas in the worst-hit Dhemaji district.
Floods have damaged six roads, one bridge, three culverts in Golaghat district and breached an embankment each at Madanpur and Chandpur in Karimganj district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says