Assam floods: PM talks to Tarun Gogoi
New Delhi: With flood situation in Assam being critical, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday spoke to Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and assured him of all central help.
During the telephonic talk, the Prime Minister inquired about the latest on the flood situation and asked the Chief Minister what kind of help would be required from the Centre, PMO sources said.
Singh assured Gogoi that the Centre will extend all help to the state, they said.
Assam`s flood situation is critical with 11 districts being inundated by the swollen Brahmaputra and its tributaries affecting over one lakh people.
The 11 affected districts are Dhemaji, Tinsukia, Chirang, Nagaon, Golaghat, Jorhat, Kamrup, Karimganj, Lakhimpur, Morigaon and Sibsagar.
Heavy rainfall in the catchment areas of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh has caused river Jiadhol to rise and inundate fresh areas in the worst-hit Dhemaji district.
Floods have damaged six roads, one bridge, three culverts in Golaghat district and breached an embankment each at Madanpur and Chandpur in Karimganj district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside