Assam floods: PM talks to Tarun Gogoi
New Delhi: With flood situation in Assam being critical, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday spoke to Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and assured him of all central help.
During the telephonic talk, the Prime Minister inquired about the latest on the flood situation and asked the Chief Minister what kind of help would be required from the Centre, PMO sources said.
Singh assured Gogoi that the Centre will extend all help to the state, they said.
Assam`s flood situation is critical with 11 districts being inundated by the swollen Brahmaputra and its tributaries affecting over one lakh people.
The 11 affected districts are Dhemaji, Tinsukia, Chirang, Nagaon, Golaghat, Jorhat, Kamrup, Karimganj, Lakhimpur, Morigaon and Sibsagar.
Heavy rainfall in the catchment areas of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh has caused river Jiadhol to rise and inundate fresh areas in the worst-hit Dhemaji district.
Floods have damaged six roads, one bridge, three culverts in Golaghat district and breached an embankment each at Madanpur and Chandpur in Karimganj district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand