Assam: Gogoi to take oath on May 18
Guwahati: Tarun Gogoi, who steered the Congress to a spectacular win in Assam, will be sworn-in as chief minister for the third consecutive term on Wednesday, PCC sources said on Monday.
Assam Congress Legislature Party (CLP) will meet tomorrow and formally elect Gogoi as its leader. Immediately after the meeting, Gogoi will stake claim to form the government.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and AICC general secretary and state in-charge Digvijay Singh are scheduled to attend tomorrow`s CLP meet, the sources said.
Governor Janaki Ballav Patnaik will administer the oath of office and secrecy to Gogoi at the Raj Bhavan on May 18.
Sources said after taking oath as chief minister, Gogoi will leave for New Delhi to consult the party high command for finalising the list of ministers.
The outgoing cabinet met for the last time under the chairmanship of chief minister Gogoi yesterday and later tendered resignation to the governor to facilitate the formation of the new government.
The Congress has bagged 78 seats in the 126 member house.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter