Assam outfits start economic blockade of Nagaland
Golaghat (Assam): Protesters belonging to various outfits from Assam have started an indefinite economic blockade of Nagaland to protest against alleged encroachment of land in Golaghat district of Assam by people from the neighbouring state.
Around 200 protesters gathered at 11 am this morning and have blocked National Highway-39 at Rangajan in Golaghat district.
The protesters belong to Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuva Chatra Parishad (AJYCP), Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) and All Tea Tribes Students` Union, among others.
According to the police, the protest has so far been peaceful and district administration are trying to persuade the outfits to lift the blockade.
The NH-39, which goes to Dimapur in Nagaland from Assam, is the lifeline for the neighbouring state.
The protesters are demanding return of around 250 bighas of land in Merapani area of Golaghat district which has allegedly been taken over by people from Nagaland, sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know