Assam outfits start economic blockade of Nagaland
Golaghat (Assam): Protesters belonging to various outfits from Assam have started an indefinite economic blockade of Nagaland to protest against alleged encroachment of land in Golaghat district of Assam by people from the neighbouring state.
Around 200 protesters gathered at 11 am this morning and have blocked National Highway-39 at Rangajan in Golaghat district.
The protesters belong to Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuva Chatra Parishad (AJYCP), Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) and All Tea Tribes Students` Union, among others.
According to the police, the protest has so far been peaceful and district administration are trying to persuade the outfits to lift the blockade.
The NH-39, which goes to Dimapur in Nagaland from Assam, is the lifeline for the neighbouring state.
The protesters are demanding return of around 250 bighas of land in Merapani area of Golaghat district which has allegedly been taken over by people from Nagaland, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested