Assam ranks third in HDI progress rate
Guwahati: Assam ranks thirds in the rate of progress in Human Development Index (HDI) among all the major states in the country achieving 32.1 per cent progress
for the period 1999-2008, an official release said here on Monday.
India Human Development Report 2011 brought out by the Institute of Applied Manpower Research, Planning Commission, Government of India based on the data of 1999-2008 reflecting the three main components of human development vis-a-vis education, health and per-capita income, it said.
The report says that if Assam maintains the current
rate of progress in HDI for another decade there is strong
possibility that the overall human development will be ahead
of the other states of the country.
The report further states that among the three components
used for HDI parameter, Assam has shown the highest rate of
progress in Income Index and third highest rate of progress in
Assam was, however, lagging behind the national average
in Education Index, it has shown marked improvement.
With a Hunger Index of 19.83 percent (as in 2008) and
ranked fourth in so far as reducing hunger is concerned, Assam
is `doing better than the so-called developed States with high
per capita income namely, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Karnataka
and Gujarat`, the report says .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre