Assam records significant increase in total electorate
Guwahati: Assam has recorded a significant 3.29 percent increase in the total electorate with minority dominated district Dhubri recording the highest growth rate.
According to the final electoral roll, the total number of voters in the state for the next Assembly polls, scheduled next year, was 1,79,53,112 marking an increase of 4,84,154 voters from 1,74,68,958 recorded last year, Chief Electoral Officer Hemanta Narzary said here today.
Dhubri, with a dominant minority population, registered the highest growth of 6.81 percent followed by Bongaigaon at 6.79 percent while the lowest growth rate was Jorhat`s at .32 percent.
Cachar was the only district in the state with a negative growth percentage of -1.15 percent, Narzary said.
The districts with a significant increase in the total electorate was Kamrup (Metro) with 5.2 percent, Goalpara with 4.83 percent, Dhemaji with 4.5 percent, Hailakandi with 4.56 percent, Darrang with 4.41 percent, Barpeta with 4.07 percent, Nagaon with 3.96 percent, Udalguri with 3.9 percent, Kamrup (Rural) with 3.73 percent, Karimganj with 3.58 percent, Nalbari with 3.13 percent and Kokrajhar with 3.13 percent.
Besides Jorhat, those recording a minimal increase include NC Hills with .61 percent, Sibsagar with 1.19 percent, Morigaon with 1.51 per cent, Golaghat with 1.64 percent, Dibrugarh with 1.79 percent, Tinsukia with 1.8 percent and Lakhimpur with 1.88 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police