Assam Rifles to deploy spy unit along Myanmar border
Shillong: Assam Rifles will deploy its
independent intelligence unit along the Myanmar border by May
this year, its Director General Lt Gen KS Yadava said on Sunday.
"The field intelligence unit is already through and its
raising has started. We hope to put it in place by May this
year," he told reporters here.
Lt Gen Yadava said Assam Rifles being the lead
intelligence agency of the Myanmar border will get a major
boost once the intelligence unit is deployed along the Myanmar
"The unit will have around 200 men besides 27 officers
picked from the organization," he said.
He also informed that by the end of this year the process
of raising 26 new battalions will start.
"Every year, we plan to raise 2/3 battalions. Two commando
battalions will also be a part of the raisings," he said.
One of the commando battalion will be deployed in Manipur
and would have special uniform and weaponry and will be "as
good as any other commando force in the country."
"They will be trained by all expert forces in the country.
The battalions will lend a potent force to the Northeast,"
Raised as a "militia" by the British in 1835 to protest
their interests in the region, the 60,000-strong paramilitary
force is now deployed in Manipur, Indo-Myanmar border and some
other states of the region for counter-insurgency operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter