Assam to initiate talks with ULFA, with or without Paresh
Guwahati: The Assam government on Wednesday
decided to initiate the process of talks with the banned ULFA,
irrespective of whether the group`s `commander-in-chief`
Paresh Barua comes for negotiations or not.
In a meeting, the Cabinet agreed in principle to hold
talks with the ULFA and the Centre was informed about it,
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi told reporters here.
Yesterday, Home Minister P Chidambaram had given Gogoi
a free hand to decide on matters relating to talks with ULFA.
"We have agreed only in principle to initiate talks
with the ULFA and modalities are being worked out," he said,
adding the majority of ULFA`s 15-member central committee, six
of whom are in judicial custody and two on bail, are in favour
"We wanted to include everybody in the talks,
including Paresh Barua. We waited for sometime for him but we
cannot wait indefinitely. If he comes well and good, but if he
does not come we will proceed," Gogoi said, adding security
operations to maintain law and order in the state would,
Asked whether the jailed leaders would be released for
talks to progress, he said "We will take a decision as the
situation develops. We have only announced our decision for
talks. Let us see the ULFA`s response to it."
Gogoi said the people of Assam and the Citizens` Forum
comprising intellectuals had already taken the initiative for
the peace process. "Respecting their sentiments, we have
decided to take the process forward. The state government has
to play a major role in this. We know the ground realities. Of
course, the Centre is always there to provide us with all help
Asked whether the talks would be successful without
Barua, he said, "We must make an effort. People want talks.
Everybody want talks. We have to take the risk.
"We will now wait for ULFA`s response and then proceed
accordingly. Communication channels with ULFA are open and we
will work out the modalities only after their response."
Talks would be held with ULFA as a whole and not with
separate factions that have surrendered, he said, adding the
cabinet decision was the most important one in his nine
year-tenure in office.
To questions on whether ULFA general secretary Anup
Chetia, now in Bangladesh jail, would be handed over to India,
he said "Frankly speaking, I have no knowledge about it."
Gogoi said said the issue of Maoist threat in the
northeast was discussed with Chidambaram yesterday. "Maoists
are trying to make their presence felt in the northeast but
they have not been able to make much inroads."
The northeastern region, which has borders with Nepal,
China and Bangladesh, is a vulnerable area for Maoist
penetration. "We are maintaining strict vigil and will remain
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'