Assam tribals demand right to contest village polls
Guwahati: Tribals in Assam are demanding the right to contest village council polls.
Recently, they took part in a demonstration over a demand to hold elections in Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) areas of the state`s Goalpara District.
The secretary of the All Assam Tribal Sangha, Aditya Khaklary, said support was being extended to the All Assam Tribal Sangha extend our support to the agitation by the Rabha Hosong Joint Action Committee.
Polls were scheduled to be held in February this year, but were rescheduled owing to incidents of sporadic violence and disruptions in the district.
Thousands of people have been protesting on the streets to stop officials in Goalpara and neighbouring Kamrup District from preparing for the polls.
The Rabhas are demanding that the election to the autonomous RHAC must be held first.
The state government, however, decided to hold the polls in the entire state citing constitutional obligations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!