Assamese community celebrates Bihu in Delhi
New Delhi: Wearing traditional attire, feasting on sweetmeats like pitha and laddoo and participating in colourful cultural extravaganza - complete with song and dance - the Assamese community in Delhi celebrated Bihu Wednesday, with the festivities set to continue until the weekend.
Marking the advent of New Year, Bihu - like Baisakhi in north India, Vishu in Kerala and Mesadi and Puthandu in Tamil Nadu - is the harvest festival of Assam celebrated with much fervour and gaiety.
The Assamese community in the capital celebrated the festival in the traditional way. At the Srimanta Sankaradeva Bhavan in south Delhi, the Assam Association Delhi organised a cultural festival on the occasion.
Aruna Sarma, a student here, said: "Back home the festive spirit is evident everywhere. Traditional dishes are cooked at homes and a number of cultural programmes are organised."
"This is my first Bihu away from home. If not for the Bihu celebrations organised by the Assam Association, I would have been terribly homesick," she added.
The cultural festivities planned for the evening will have men and women dressed in traditional attire dancing to the tune of Bihu songs, a competition for the best dressed male and female guest and an elaborate meal of fish curry, a variety of vegetable dishes and sweetmeats.
Rupa Saikia, another student, said: "I am looking forward to the Bihu celebrations at my friend`s place this evening. I will be wearing a Mekhla Chador, the traditional Assamese dress and dancing to some folk music."
On April 17-18, a northeast festival will be organised at the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA).
Complete with the Huchori, the traditional Assamese folk song, the event will see the various adaptations of the Bihu dance by different communities like Mishing Bihu, Dewri Bihu and Mukoli Bihu as well as a performance by noted Assamese singer Krishnamoni Nath.
There will also be a children`s Bihu performance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement