ATTF chief remanded to 7 days police custody
Agartala: Chief of the outlawed All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF) Ranjit Debbarma, was today remanded to seven days police custody.
Debbarma, who was arrested from Mohanpur area, about 20 km from here yesterday, was shifted to the Special Branch custody of the police.
The ATTF supremo had been remanded to a day`s judicial custody by a second class judge yesterday as it was a holiday because of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose`s birth anniversary.
When he was produced before chief judicial magistrate Biswajit Palit here today, he was remanded to police custody.
On the way to the court Debbarma told reporters that his struggle for `liberation of Tripura` would continue.
He claimed he had been arrested by security forces from Dhaka`s Mohammadpur locality on December 30, pushed back through Dawki border in Meghalaya on January 16 and was handed over to Tripura State Rifles (TSR) two days later.
He said he launched a hunger strike in the custody of TSR on January 22 demanding his production in court following which they produced him before the court yesterday.
Official sources said Debbarma lived in Dhaka and set up bases in Sylhet and Chittagong Hill Tract. He conducted many subversive activities in Tripura from there and was responsible for many killings, kidnaps, and extortions.
According to intelligence sources, the insurgent leader had been in transport and garment business in Bangladesh and accumulated capital by collecting ransom from kidnapped persons and lived a lavish life.
However, the insurgency was on the wane in the state following pressure by anti-insurgency operation by the Seikh Hasina Government in Bangladesh and due to counter insurgency measures and erection of barbed wire fencing.
ATTF second in command Chitta Debbarma and many other leaders had surrendered.
Set up in early `90s, ATTF was fighting a war against the state demanding, among others, deportation of people who entered Tripura after October 15, 1949 (the day Tripura joined Indian Union).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?