Bandh and rock concert to mark R-Day in Meghalaya
Shillong: This Republic Day half of
Meghalaya will be under the shadow of a bandh while the rest
will be shaking their legs to the tune of rock music in a
Out of the seven districts in the state, the four
Khasi-Jaintia districts will face the heat of a 24-hour
customary shutdown called by the proscribed Khasi outfit
Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) to protest the
The bandh will be effective from 6.00 pm on January 25,
HNLC publicity secretary Sainkupar Nongtraw said in a
statement issued here.
However, the remaining three districts of Garo Hills
on the western side of the state will be bustling with
activities and celebrating Republic Day with a music concert.
Garo rebel group Achik National Volunteer Council
(ANVC), which is under ceasefire since 2004, is organising a
rock concert to raise funds for the affected people of the
recent ethnic clash between Garos and Rabhas that hit the
Assam-Meghalaya border recently.
The concert will be held at Chandmari Ground at Tura,
the district headquarter town of West Garo Hills.
"The whole concept of the concert is to extent support
to the affected families who have lost their homes and
properties. With the funds raised from the concert, we will
help them in reconstructing their homes," ANVC spokesperson
Torik Marak said.
The concert also aims at spreading the message of
peace in the affected areas of the ethnic clash, he said.
Rock bands from Tura, including Keke, Titans and Rip
Rap, are expected to perform during the concert.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town