Bandh disrupts life in Arunachal capital
Itanagar: Life came to a grinding halt in the state capital on Friday in response to a dawn to dusk bandh called by All Arunachal Pradesh Border Student’s Union (AAPBSU) in protest against state government’s failure to resolve the long-pending boundary impasse with neighbouring Assam.
All commercial and public vehicles remained off the road, while a few state transport buses were seen plying with security, official reports said. Business establishments and traders downed their shutters while, educational institutions,
private establishments and central government offices did not function. Thin attendance was recorded in all state government offices, the reports said.
Though the administration had promulgated prohibitory orders, defying it bandh enforcers damaged several vehicles including two wheelers by pelting stones besides blocking the
NH 52A at several locations by burning tyres and felling trees.
Eighteen bandh enforcers, two of them women, were arrested from Itanagar and Naharlagun areas, Superintendent of
Police, state capital, Hibu Tamang said.
The union called the shutdown demanding immediate issuance of land possession certificates (LPC) free of cost to the Arunachalees settled in the inter-state boundary areas without clearance from the forest department besides establishment of 4th IRB training centre-cum headquarters at Radhaso under Tarasso circle in Papum Pare district.
Other demands include construction of permanent police check gates in all inter-state boundary areas, creation of a
separate post of DGP for border affairs with hotline connection for regular communication on border area problem
and inclusion of chief secretary and principal secretary as members in local inter-state boundary commission. PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery