Bandh hits normal life in Meghalaya
Shillong: The Bharat Bandh affected normal life in Meghalaya today with BJP volunteers detained in the state capital for enforcing the shutdown.
BJP general secretary Dipayan Chakraborty along with 26 party volunteers were picked up by the police while forcing shopkeepers to down shutters and forcing public transport vehicles off the roads, East Khasi Hills deputy commissioner, Sanjay Goyal told News agencies.
Banks, markets, shops and educational institutions were closed, with government offices recording low attendance, reports said.
Government transport vehicles and a few taxis were on the roads.
Security measures have been taken with the shutdown peaceful so far.
The bandh was being supported by the opposition National People’s Party and the Federation of Khasi Jaintia and Garo People.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!
- UN blacklists Indian-flagged cargo vessel carrying Libyan oil
- One minute of intense exercise can help you stay fit!
- Don't refer Bhagat Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad as terrorists: HRD Ministry to DU
- Navjot Singh Sidhu takes oath as Rajya Sabha member – SEE PICS