Bandh hits normal life in Meghalaya
Shillong: The Bharat Bandh affected normal life in Meghalaya today with BJP volunteers detained in the state capital for enforcing the shutdown.
BJP general secretary Dipayan Chakraborty along with 26 party volunteers were picked up by the police while forcing shopkeepers to down shutters and forcing public transport vehicles off the roads, East Khasi Hills deputy commissioner, Sanjay Goyal told News agencies.
Banks, markets, shops and educational institutions were closed, with government offices recording low attendance, reports said.
Government transport vehicles and a few taxis were on the roads.
Security measures have been taken with the shutdown peaceful so far.
The bandh was being supported by the opposition National People’s Party and the Federation of Khasi Jaintia and Garo People.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway