Bandh in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life Thursday disrupted in Manipur due to a 12-hour bandh called by the North East Students` Organisation to protest against alleged harassment of students from the north-east in other parts of the country and influx of illegal migrants in the region.
Officials said markets, shops, business establishments and entertainment houses remained closed in response to the bandh, strictly imposed in Manipur by the All Manipur Students Union (AMSU), constituent of the NESO.
They said transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were cancelled while educational institutions, banks and private companies remained closed in response to the bandh which also brought normal life to standstill in all the districts.
Attendance in state and central government offices was `nil`, official reports said, adding that security and police forces were deployed at all the vulnerable places to prevent any untoward incident.
Streets and roads in Imphal and all towns in the state wore deserted look as people preferred to remain indoors during the bandh which was also supported by several civil organisations, reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video