Bangladesh agrees to fencing at 9 places in Tripura
Agartala: Neighbouring Bangladesh has agreed to allow erection of barbed wire fencing on the zero-line of Indo-Bangla border at nine places in Tripura, official sources said Monday.
Following India`s request, Bangladesh government has agreed to allow construction of fencing on the zero-line at nine places in the state, they said.
The places include Akhaura International Check Post, Kasba Kali Temple area, Agartala airport, Mohanpur market and Sidhai Main Road in West Tripura district, Belonia and Sabroom sub-divisional towns in South Tripura district and Kailashahar sub-divisional town in Unakoti district.
Sources said the Centre had earlier sanctioned construction of barbed wire fencing along 833 KM of the 856 KM-long Indo-Bangla border in the state.
Bangladesh government had objected fencing on the Zero Line to adhere to Indira-Mujib Treaty signed in 1972, as per which no permanent structure in any form within the 150 yards of the Zero-Line could be constructed.
Construction of fencing 150 yards away from the Zero Line caused huge displacement and many cultivable and homestead land fell on the other side of the fencing causing inconvenience to people.
According to official records, there are about 8,800 families in the state who live outside the fencing and so far they have not got any rehabilitation package.
Due to paucity of funds the state government could not resettle those people and even after sending a scheme of Rs 93 crore for their rehabilitation long back it did not get the sanction so far, Finance Minister Badal Chowdhury said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- 'Selfie' with Bulandshahr DM B Chandrakala lands 18-year-old in jail
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!