Bangladesh agrees to fencing at 9 places in Tripura
Agartala: Neighbouring Bangladesh has agreed to allow erection of barbed wire fencing on the zero-line of Indo-Bangla border at nine places in Tripura, official sources said Monday.
Following India`s request, Bangladesh government has agreed to allow construction of fencing on the zero-line at nine places in the state, they said.
The places include Akhaura International Check Post, Kasba Kali Temple area, Agartala airport, Mohanpur market and Sidhai Main Road in West Tripura district, Belonia and Sabroom sub-divisional towns in South Tripura district and Kailashahar sub-divisional town in Unakoti district.
Sources said the Centre had earlier sanctioned construction of barbed wire fencing along 833 KM of the 856 KM-long Indo-Bangla border in the state.
Bangladesh government had objected fencing on the Zero Line to adhere to Indira-Mujib Treaty signed in 1972, as per which no permanent structure in any form within the 150 yards of the Zero-Line could be constructed.
Construction of fencing 150 yards away from the Zero Line caused huge displacement and many cultivable and homestead land fell on the other side of the fencing causing inconvenience to people.
According to official records, there are about 8,800 families in the state who live outside the fencing and so far they have not got any rehabilitation package.
Due to paucity of funds the state government could not resettle those people and even after sending a scheme of Rs 93 crore for their rehabilitation long back it did not get the sanction so far, Finance Minister Badal Chowdhury said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre