Bid to torch house foiled, reconciliation initiatives on
Shillong: The authorities thwarted
miscreants` attempt to torch a house in the ethnic-riot hit
East Garo Hills district of Meghalaya and scotched rumours on
time to prevent any flare-up, officials said on Sunday.
A portion of the house at Mendipathar was damaged
before the security personnel and villagers trooped in and
chased away the miscreants last evening.
East Garo Hills deputy commissioner Pravin Bakshi said
mischief mongers wanted to disturb the peace but their attempt
A heavy deployment of security forces led by a company
of CRPF personnel took control of the area immediately after
Representatives of the Rabha National Council in Assam
visited Mendipathar today to look into the aspects leading to
the flare-up and the steps being taken for reconciliation by
the two communities.
BSF, deployed in the ethnic riot-hit areas, organised
a friendly cricket match between teams from Bajengdoba and
Mendipather-Resubelpara comprising both Garos and Rabhas.
The intention of the BSF and district officials is to
allow both communities to reach out to one another and try to
heal the trauma of fear and hatred by both sides, the DC said.
The Rabha delegation is also expected to motivate the
displaced people to return to their homes in time for the
start of the final stage of the Census operation beginning
The BSF is also offering trauma and psychological
counselling to the riot hit.
Twelve people were killed and around 50,000 displaced
in the ethnic riot between January 1-10 in Meghalaya`s East
Garo Hills and neighbouring Assam`s Goalpara districts.
The recovery of three corpses in Goalpara on last
Thursday prompted the East Garo Hills administration to sound
a high alert to prevent any repercussion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Islamic State urges Ramadan attacks in US, Europe in new audio broadcast
- Meet the graduates! Aryan Khan and Navya Naveli Nanda celebrate freedom like stars—View pics
- Watch: 'Smart' walking stick that can help Parkinson's sufferers regain rhythm!
- Shocking: DFO owns luxurious swimming pool as Sukma craves for water
- SC to hear plea seeking water supply ban to Maharashtra breweries