Bill passed to create four new districts in Arunac
Itanagar: After eight hours deliberation, The Assembly today passed the Arunachal Pradesh (Re-Organisation of Districts) (Amendment) Bill, 2013, paving way for creation of four new districts.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki had tabled the bill on March 15 for creation of Kra Daadi, Namsai, Siang and Lower Siang districts.
After creation of the new districts, the total districts in the state would be 21.
Longding was created last year as the 17th district carving out Tirap district.
Namsai would be created by dividing Lohit district with its headquarters at Namsai, while Kra Daadi, with its proposed headquarters at Jamin, would be created from Kurung Kumey district.
Siang and Lower Siang districts would be created by taking certain administrative circles from East and West Siang districts. The headquarters of Siang district has been proposed at Nyobo while that of Lower Siang is yet to be decided.
Taking part in the discussion of the Bill, Tuki said the cabinet decision to create the four districts was to accelerate economic development in the areas and to bring administration to the peoples` doorsteps.
Earlier in the day, BJP member Tamiyo Taga and Congress MLA Alo Libang moved a notice for amendment of the bill under Rule 79 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business of the assembly to delete the entries `areas comprising administrative units of existing East Siang districts namely Nari, Koyu, Seren and Kora` from the bill following opposition by a section of the people.
However, the bill was passed by voice votes without amendment after Tuki assured not to issue notification on creation of Lower Siang district till the issue of protests by various organisations resolved.
Later, Speaker Wangling Lowangdong adjourned the House sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead