Bill passed to create four new districts in Arunac
Itanagar: After eight hours deliberation, The Assembly today passed the Arunachal Pradesh (Re-Organisation of Districts) (Amendment) Bill, 2013, paving way for creation of four new districts.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki had tabled the bill on March 15 for creation of Kra Daadi, Namsai, Siang and Lower Siang districts.
After creation of the new districts, the total districts in the state would be 21.
Longding was created last year as the 17th district carving out Tirap district.
Namsai would be created by dividing Lohit district with its headquarters at Namsai, while Kra Daadi, with its proposed headquarters at Jamin, would be created from Kurung Kumey district.
Siang and Lower Siang districts would be created by taking certain administrative circles from East and West Siang districts. The headquarters of Siang district has been proposed at Nyobo while that of Lower Siang is yet to be decided.
Taking part in the discussion of the Bill, Tuki said the cabinet decision to create the four districts was to accelerate economic development in the areas and to bring administration to the peoples` doorsteps.
Earlier in the day, BJP member Tamiyo Taga and Congress MLA Alo Libang moved a notice for amendment of the bill under Rule 79 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business of the assembly to delete the entries `areas comprising administrative units of existing East Siang districts namely Nari, Koyu, Seren and Kora` from the bill following opposition by a section of the people.
However, the bill was passed by voice votes without amendment after Tuki assured not to issue notification on creation of Lower Siang district till the issue of protests by various organisations resolved.
Later, Speaker Wangling Lowangdong adjourned the House sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued