Bill passed to create four new districts in Arunac
Itanagar: After eight hours deliberation, The Assembly today passed the Arunachal Pradesh (Re-Organisation of Districts) (Amendment) Bill, 2013, paving way for creation of four new districts.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki had tabled the bill on March 15 for creation of Kra Daadi, Namsai, Siang and Lower Siang districts.
After creation of the new districts, the total districts in the state would be 21.
Longding was created last year as the 17th district carving out Tirap district.
Namsai would be created by dividing Lohit district with its headquarters at Namsai, while Kra Daadi, with its proposed headquarters at Jamin, would be created from Kurung Kumey district.
Siang and Lower Siang districts would be created by taking certain administrative circles from East and West Siang districts. The headquarters of Siang district has been proposed at Nyobo while that of Lower Siang is yet to be decided.
Taking part in the discussion of the Bill, Tuki said the cabinet decision to create the four districts was to accelerate economic development in the areas and to bring administration to the peoples` doorsteps.
Earlier in the day, BJP member Tamiyo Taga and Congress MLA Alo Libang moved a notice for amendment of the bill under Rule 79 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business of the assembly to delete the entries `areas comprising administrative units of existing East Siang districts namely Nari, Koyu, Seren and Kora` from the bill following opposition by a section of the people.
However, the bill was passed by voice votes without amendment after Tuki assured not to issue notification on creation of Lower Siang district till the issue of protests by various organisations resolved.
Later, Speaker Wangling Lowangdong adjourned the House sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site