Bill passed to create four new districts in Arunac
Itanagar: After eight hours deliberation, The Assembly today passed the Arunachal Pradesh (Re-Organisation of Districts) (Amendment) Bill, 2013, paving way for creation of four new districts.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki had tabled the bill on March 15 for creation of Kra Daadi, Namsai, Siang and Lower Siang districts.
After creation of the new districts, the total districts in the state would be 21.
Longding was created last year as the 17th district carving out Tirap district.
Namsai would be created by dividing Lohit district with its headquarters at Namsai, while Kra Daadi, with its proposed headquarters at Jamin, would be created from Kurung Kumey district.
Siang and Lower Siang districts would be created by taking certain administrative circles from East and West Siang districts. The headquarters of Siang district has been proposed at Nyobo while that of Lower Siang is yet to be decided.
Taking part in the discussion of the Bill, Tuki said the cabinet decision to create the four districts was to accelerate economic development in the areas and to bring administration to the peoples` doorsteps.
Earlier in the day, BJP member Tamiyo Taga and Congress MLA Alo Libang moved a notice for amendment of the bill under Rule 79 of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business of the assembly to delete the entries `areas comprising administrative units of existing East Siang districts namely Nari, Koyu, Seren and Kora` from the bill following opposition by a section of the people.
However, the bill was passed by voice votes without amendment after Tuki assured not to issue notification on creation of Lower Siang district till the issue of protests by various organisations resolved.
Later, Speaker Wangling Lowangdong adjourned the House sine die.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal