Bill to stem discontent among Manipur Cong MLAs
Imphal: Amid reports of discontent among ruling Congress MLAs who failed to get a ministerial berth, the Manipur government today introduced a bill in the state Assembly to appoint parliamentary secretaries having the rank of a minister of state.
The Manipur Parliamentary Secretary (Appointment, Salary and Allowances and Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill, 2012, was introduced by Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh against the backdrop of resentment among 42 Congress MLAs as majority of them could not get a ministerial berth.
The bill would enable the state government to appoint parliamentary secretaries enjoying the rank of a minister of state, assembly secretariat sources said.
The proposed legislation would also enable parliamentary secretaries to get the responsibility of looking after government departments.
Congress won 42 seats in the 60-member House and as per provisions of the Constitution, Manipur cannot have more than 12 ministers.
To keep the Congress flock together, the Chief Minister had promised some aspirants the posts of parliamentary secretaries and chairmen of boards and corporations.
Opposition BJP, however, opposed the bill saying it would put additional burden on the state exchequer.
Congress sources said after enactment of the law, the state government might appoint seven parliamentary secretaries from among the party MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video