Bird flu panic abates in Meghalaya
Shillong: Authorities on Saturday gave the all-clear signal and calmed the panic in Meghalaya after clinical tests on dead pigeons proved negative for bird flu, a veterinary official said Saturday.
"The blood samples of the pigeons which were sent for testing at Assam-based Regional Research and Diagnostic Laboratory (RRDL) have confirmed negative for bird flu," said Meghalaya`s Animal and Husbandry Veterinary director D Lyngwa.
On Friday, veterinary authorities sent blood samples of three pigeons after over a hundred pigeons were found dead at Keating Road in the heart of Shillong.
"Further tests would take place to confirm the exact cause of deaths of the pigeons, with results due next week," Lyngwa told a news agency.
The deaths of pigeons surfaced after 19 days, when a rapid response team completed disinfection operations in bird flu-hit area of East Garo Hills district.
Altogether, 6,538 birds including domesticated fowls were culled, 9,157 eggs and more than 800 kg of feeds were destroyed in 21 villages in East Garo Hills, after the Bhopal-based High Security Animal Disease Laboratory declared the birds were infected with H5N1 virus.
"There is nothing to panic and people can consume poultry products and chicken in the city," Lyngwa said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP