BJP announces 11 candidates for Nagaland poll, may field more
Kohima: The BJP will field 11 candidates, including a woman candidate, in the 60-seat Nagaland Assembly election scheduled for February 23.
The tickets were handed over to the candidates at the party`s office in Dimapur this afternoon in the presence of Tapir Gao, national BJP general secretary, and PB Acharya, senior BJP national leader.
So far, the BJP is the only political organization to have given ticket to a woman candidate, Rakhila, to be fielded from the Tuensang Sadar-II seat.
Rakhila is the widow of ex-minister Lakiumong who died in 2006.
A prominent figure among the BJP candidates is veteran politician and eight-time MLA, TA Ngullie, who will fight from the Tyui A/C in Wokha district.
He would be contesting against sitting NPF MLA Yanthungo Patton and Congress candidate Yankithung Yanthan. BJP is also the only political party in the state to be fielding a non-Naga candidate in this election.
BJP state unit president M Chuba said though the party had entered into a pre-poll alliance with the ruling Naga People`s Front, there would be no seat-sharing with it, arguing that the pre-poll alliance was a ‘friendly and strategic arrangement’ only.
He also said that the party might consider fielding candidates in addition to 11 already declared.
Yesterday the NPF issued tickets to 60 candidates while opposition Congress would field 55 candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...