BJP confident about defeating Cong in Meghalaya poll
Shillong: The BJP on Tuesday exuded confidence about forming the next government in Meghalaya by defeating the Congress, after the party forged an "internal alliance" with the PA Sangma-led National People`s Party (NPP) and United Democratic Party (UDP).
"We are having internal-alliance with the NPP and the UDP and we will extend our full support to them to form a coalition-government in the state," BJP`s organising secretary for North Eastern States, P Chandra Shekhar claimed before reporters here today.
The BJP leader made the claim when he was asked as to why the BJP was fighting only 13 seats of the 60 seats of Meghalaya which goes to poll on February 23.
"We are having adjustment with Sangma led party and we are having a friendly relationship with the UDP," he said citing "adjustments" as the reason for not setting up candidates in all the 60 constituencies in the state.
According to the BJP leader, the party is hoping that the alliance partners would earn them the `magic-number` to form the government in the state.
Goa Deputy Chief Minister, Francis Dezousa, who is also campaigning in the state lauded his party`s achievement while urging the voters to vote for the party`s candidate.
In 2008, the BJP won a single seat in Meghalaya but its lone MLA A L Hek joined the Congress and he was made a cabinet minister. Hek is contesting on a Congress ticket from Pynthorumkhrah constituency in the capital Shillong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof